Physiotherapy for Golfers
Almost 1 million Australians play golf, making it one of the highest participation sports nationally. Unfortunately, this means that golf-related injuries are also common. Both professional and amateur golfers may experience lower back pain from play, and this lower back pain contributes to about 25% of all golfing injuries.
In casual golfers, lower back pain can be caused by:
- Failure to warm up
- Ill-fitting equipment
- Level of trunk muscle strength
- Swing technique
- Stiffness in the spine and hips
- General fitness
Compression is the main force that goes through the lower back when you swing. Most of this force occurs when the club hits the ball. Lower back pain is usually caused by stresses to the muscles, discs and ligaments in the lower back area. Excessive loading or ‘slouching’ of the spine can contribute to this condition.
Manage golf-related back pain
Gaining knowledge about the contributing factors to back pain is the best place to start. Our physiotherapists in the Sydney CBD can guide you through the management of golf-related lower back pain – and how to prevent it from reoccurring. To help you get started, below are some important tips to follow when playing golf:
- Always warm up before you play. Your warmup routine should include stretching exercises, practice swings and driving range and putting practice. Each warmup exercise should take up to 10 minutes to perform.
- Book an appointment with your massage therapist. Using hands-on techniques, we can help you improve your range of motion, reduce muscle tension and increase flexibility.
- Have a golf assessment to correct your swing technique. Our physiotherapists can assess the way your body moves during a swing. This helps us to identify the cause of your lower back pain.
- Book a golf performance assessment at Sports Focus Castle Hill to ensure your technique is correct.
- Make sure that you are lifting and bending correctly. Always keep your back straight and lift with your legs.
Next time you’re preparing for a game of golf, make sure you book an appointment with Sports Focus beforehand. Book online today to continue enjoying your time on the green.c